Thursday, August 15, 2013

Jack Swag

If you've been in the book biz, say, at least 15 to 20 years (and even longer), then you will remember when publishers used to send out promo swag to encourage bookstores and book reviewers to push their titles. Just some of the goodies I have on hand include the cardboard mask of the cover image on William Gibson's novel Mona Lisa Overdrive, and a red and white Repairman Jack baseball cap from the F. Paul Wilson series.

Which brings me to the photo on the left: the box of swag I received as a contributor to the just published anthology Tales of Jack the Ripper, edited by Ross E. Lockhart -- the first book to be published by Word Horde.

As to the box's contents: Obviously, the most important item is the anthology itself -- one of the nicest looking trade paperbacks I've seen in a long time: true production quality. Working with Ross on this book (along with Claudia Noble on the cover design) felt like a Night Shade Books reunion project. For more on the book, you can read my previous blog post as well as view the video trailer.

Next up is the "official" Jack the Ripper knife. I mean, what would a box of Ripper swag be without a knife? The card to which the knife is attached reads in part: "Meet Jack's little friend! Stab your friends and family!" Now, the red item you see in the photograph is a spongy rubber kidney (sorry that it doesn't show up better in the photo) bearing the title of the book, "Tales of Jack the Ripper." When I first opened the box, the kidney was resting right on the blade end of the knife, and it initially appeared as if the knife had been stuck into the heart!

Last, but certainly not least, are the Tales of Jack the Ripper postcards and book marks, and Word Horde stickers.

And if you are interested in obtaining a box of Tales of Jack the Ripper swag -- including an ebook edition in the format of your choice, then hit the Word Horde site at this link and place your order for the Saucy Jack Deluxe Pack.

And, enjoy the read. I'm confident that we'll be seeing a number of these stories on "best of" lists for the year, and even a few award nominations.


Update: October 31, 2023: Someone just posted a comment here asking for a pic of the Mona Lisa Overdrive mask swag that I mentioned in the very first paragraph above. Unfortunately, and I've done a bit of searching (but someone will definitely correct me if I am wrong!), I've learned that graphics cannot be included in Blogger comments. So, I'm going to post the front and back of the mask here, at the bottom of this post, and then hopefully the commenter will return to check them out.





3 comments:

  1. Any chance of a pic of the Mona Lisa Overdrive Mask? I heard it was a convention item

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! I have learned that photos, vids, etc. cannot be included in Blogger comments.... So, I have edited the above blog post and included the mask pics at the end. Hope this is satisfactory. Cheers.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for sharing the pics! I did check back. I've wanted to see one of these for quite a long time. Although the illustrator Robert Cormier out of Las Vegas is contactable, he has yet to get back to me about doing a book remarque of this artwork. Bigger fish to fry, I'd imagine. I collect William Gibson paraphernalia. In the unlikely event that you should you ever wish to sell...drop us a line and thanks again for taking the time with the pics! orangehorsey@hotmail.com

      Delete