Thursday, November 25, 2010

Redux: Reflections on the 2000 World Fantasy Convention

In a previous blog post on the 2000 World Fantasy Convention, I made the following statement:
At the awards ceremony on Sunday, Michael [Moorcock] and wife Linda -- given their attire and the way they presented themselves -- reminded me of musicians John and Christine McVie. If you are familiar with the British rock band Fleetwood Mac, then you'll understand exactly what I mean. I intend no disrespect whatsoever with this comparison; I'm a huge fan of early Fleetwood Mac (before and after Peter Green), and I have great respect for Michael Moorcock, and I can always count on a good read whenever I pick up one of his stories. I realize this comparison isn't much in the overall scheme of things, but it gave me a good chuckle at the time and thus was a memorable moment at the convention, particularly when I shared my thoughts with those seated at the table with me. Anyhow, you be the judge:

John McVie and Christine McVie photographs courtesy of
Fanpop.com

I then went on to state that I was unable to obtain an actual photograph of the Moorcocks from that World Fantasy Convention and, unfortunately, I had to link to a photo from another time period, to include for comparison. Well, this lack of a photo has now been rectified. I received an email recently from Rachel Bloom, an editorial intern with Locus magazine. Rachel kindly provided me with a jpeg of a photo of the Moorcocks from the convention. The photo -- taken by renowned sf/f photographer Beth Gwinn -- originally appeared on page 35 of the January 2001 issue of Locus as part of the report on the 2000 World Fantasy Convention. The photograph appears here with the most kind permission of Ms. Gwinn.


As I said in that previous post, "the McVie photos are from decades earlier, but I still think the comparison is very cool."

No comments:

Post a Comment